Monday, October 25, 2010

Sewing Projects!

Two weeks ago, I personally experienced a place that I'd only heard rumors about. It's true, SR Harris Fabric Outlet in Brooklyn Park is as good as they say it is.

I found my first trip there a little overwhelming. It took me about an hour to figure out where everything is, and then another two hours to find exactly what I was looking for. I think that this place would be a great store to shop with a friend, or to come with one project in mind. I was alone, and had a few different ideas swimming in my head.

After a few hours of digging through fabric bolts, I had found everything that I needed. I ended up with some black doubleknit for a 50's dress pattern that I've been wanting to make. Since the fabric is black, I didn't take a picture of it.

Next, I found an upholstery remnant to make myself a reusable grocery shopping bag. The red quilter's cotton was already in my stash at home.



After that I was on to a jacket that I'd wanted to make for awhile, but never found quite the right fabric for. I found the blue outer fabric, then I found the striped Nanette Lepore fabric for the lining. I was satisfied, until I came across the floral cotton that was just so pretty! I decided to line the sleeves with stripes and the body with floral. This way I can have both!


Last was a Vogue suit pattern that I'd been afraid of for about 5 years. I've had the pattern as long as I've known my husband, but never had the guts to cut into some beautiful fabric and chance messing up what will surely be a challenging pattern. I found some great Tahari wool/cashmere to make the jacket only, and decided to use purple knit for the sleeve lining. The next day I decided that it was silly to not have gotten the skirt fabric too. I sent my husband (who works down the street) along with turn by turn directions through the maze of a store, to get another yard and a half. Somehow, amongst 5000 bolts of fabric, he found exactly the right one! Yay!




That day I also got a few other fabrics that I just liked, but not for anything specific. I have a few apron things that I'd like to finish (Probably for gifts since I have about 15 aprons in my kitchen already!), more grocery bags, and a few other creative things!

1 comment:

  1. I am always on the verge of sending my poor husband to a craft or fabric store! Lol!!

    So I see you're a fellow Minnesotan! I have only purchased fabric from Joanns and Hancock (I'm new to sewing). I'm happy to now have SR Harris and Mill End Textiles to add to must see places! :)

    ReplyDelete